Super Soup – Healthy Recipe
This is a really quick and easy recipe, it’s super healthy providing lots of immune boosting vitamin C and is reasonably low calorie too.
The protein of your choice will help keep appetite at bay and also makes it useful for recovery after tough sporting activities.
At Nutri Vive Nutrition Clinic, we’re really not strong believers of using exact quantities for recipes like this, just use what you have in the fridge or pantry!!
Frozen veg mixes can also be used here without compromising on flavour.
- 2 pints / 1 litre water
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 2 parsnips
- 1 cauliflour
- 10 mushrooms
- 4 sticks celery
- 1 red / yellow pepper
- 1/2 broccoli
- 3 potatoes
- 1 veg stock cube or pot
- 1 level teaspoon tumeric (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of dried / 1 handfull of fresh herbs…any of these or a combination if you prefer: parsley, thyme, marjoram, sage, mint, basil, italian herb mix ir mixed herbs.
- 1 can of chickpeas, mixed beans or 2-3 cooked chicken breasts chopped (optional)
- 1 dessert spoon cornflour mized with 5 dessert spoons cold water and add to soup towards the very end if it requires thickening
- Pepper aprox 1 teaspoon ground peppercorns
Pour water into a large saucepan and place on the hob on medium – high heat.
Start chopping each vegetable in the order above (1-2 cm cubed size is fine).
As you chop each of the vegetables, add them to the saucepan as you go along. Then add the stock pot and herbs.
Turn down the heat to low and simmer (lightly bubble) with the lid on for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chickpeas, mixed beans or chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes.
if you think it needs thickening then add the cornflour as described above and heat through for 2 minutes.
You can use a blender if you prefer a smoother soup but I prefer the rustic look!
Serve on its own, with some crusty granary bread or fresh brown soda bread.
The soup keeps well in the fridge for 2 days.