Eating well and consuming the right quantities of food can help to stabilise your blood glucose levels which in turn can prevent or delay the development of the long term health problems associated with both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
Our approach is to help you develop the skills and knowledge to become empowered to self-manage your diet for diabetes.
- Assess your current diet against the latest management guidelines for Diabetes type 1 and 2 and help you set goals to improve your diet and weight where necessary. We can also support you to put these goals into practice and develop lifetime healthy lifestyle habits.
- Provide you with interesting food choices and great diabetes friendly recipes.
- Keep you up to date with ongoing development in the area of diet and diabetes.
If you have “borderline” Diabetes or Impaired Glucose Tolerance, or have a high risk of developing diabetes:
- Eating the right foods, at the right times and in the appropriate amounts for your physical activity levels can go along way to preventing the development of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Losing weight (particularly around the tummy region) has been shown to be one of the main things you can do to delay or prevent the development of Type 2 Diabetes. Even a moderate amount of weight loss can have huge health benefits eg. Person weighing 17 stones and dropping to 15 stones can reduce the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes by a huge 50%! Our Shape Up Weight Loss Program is particularly good for getting you started on the road to long term weight loss.
Ellen Roche Dietitan at the clinic has undergone advanced training regarding nutrition for Type 2 Diabetes. She is an experienced DESMOND facilitator (Diabetes Education for Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed Diabetes) and has has attended the MERIT training course (Meeting Educational Requirements, Improving Treatment) in recent years.