Ideas to add some “Zing” to your Porridge
Additions to Try with Porridge:
- Flavourings: cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest, lemon grass, star anise
- Vanilla: good quality vanilla extract or use the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- Dried fruit: figs, apricots, prunes, mango or goji berries.
- Seeds: flax seed, linseeds, sunflower, pumpkin.
- Berries, purchase frozen when out of season.
- No added sugar jam e.g. St. Dalfour, Kelkin or Follain.
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts- use chopped or ground.
- Fruit: sliced banana, blueberries, peaches and strawberries work well
- Cocoa: good quality raw cocoa powder can be used occasionally for a change.
- Fruit flavoured yogurt
Tips for Preparing Porridge
1oz (3 tablespoons) oats, 1 cup water and ½ cup low fat milk. Place the oats in a saucepan on moderate heat. Add 1 cup of water, stirring frequently and after 2 minutes add the milk and continue cooking for a further 2-3 minutes.
If you are often short of time in the morning and like myself, prefer less washing up…. place the oats in a cereal bowl, add the water and microwave on medium power for 90 seconds. Add more milk or water as preferred, stir well and continue cooking for a further 90 seconds – just watch carefully to ensure it doesn’t boil over!
Soak porridge overnight with some water to speed up the cooking process the following day.
Try some of the additions mentioned above for variety.
Enjoy and feel the warmth on these chilly autumn mornings…
Ellen Roche MINDI Consultant Dietitian
Nutri Vive Nutrition Clinic www.nutrivive.ie